The Creative Software AutoUpdate Engine ActiveX control is a component that provides automatic update capabilities to Creative Labs software. This ActiveX control is provided by the file CTSUEng.ocx. The Create Software AutoUpdate Engine ActiveX control is marked Safe For Scripting and Safe For Initialization, which means that a web page in Internet Explorer has the ability to interact with the control. This ActiveX control contains a stack buffer overflow in the CacheFolder property.
Exploit code for this vulnerability is publicly available.
The Creative Labs AutoUpdate Engine ActiveX is included by default with many hardware devices that Creative Labs distributes.
BeyondTrust Prevention and Detection:
- BeyondTrust's Blink® Professional Edition protects from this vulnerability.
- BeyondTrust's Retina® Network Security Scanner scans devices to detect for this vulnerability.
The best form of mitigation is available by kill-bitting the CLSID for the Creative Labs AutoUpdate Engine ActiveX Control (0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715) following the directions of KB240797. This will disable calls to these ActiveX controls from web pages, thereby mitigating these specific vulnerabilities.
- US-CERT Advisory: Vulnerability Note VU#501843
- Original Proof-Of-Concept (Code Execution - Calc.exe)
- First Recognition from Creative Labs Regarding Vulnerability